Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Magic of Plastic....










In this case, it's the magic of the simplicity of a little plastic camera....the Holga 120. Yes, it's a simple piece of junk. Plastic body....plastic lens! But that's what makes it so great. The vignette, edge blur, off colors, etc are all REAL. Not a bunch of fake Photoshop actions. It's just you and the subject.....nothing else to get in the way. It was nice not having to use a computer strapped to the back of a lens (a DSLR ;-) )

All photographs on Fuji NPC 160, scanned on an Epson V700.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Luttmann,

    Very cool. I love the Holga's vignette. I shot some today, but it was indoors, and I think I might have underexposed a bit. The problem though is that on the same roll, I did shoot in the bright open shade, and if I push process too much, I might just cook the contrast too much on the Tmax 400 (2001 expired). I'm thinking of pushing it 15% past the suggested time on the box (as suggested by my former teacher, due to possible fogging of the expired film), maybe 20% for the indoors.

    Anyways, thanks for sharing these. I like #1, 3, and 4.

    Haha, I also accidentally did some multiple exposures. Oops.

    Take care,
    Huy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give the TMY400 a nudge of 15% to 20%. It should help bring up the midtones well over base fog, especially if the film wasn't refrigerated. TMY400 is very forgiving though, despite the lesser rolloff on the shoulder compared to conventional non T-Grain films.

    ReplyDelete